Cannons on the Lower Brazos and at Anahuac
Cannons on the lower Brazos river began arriving in 1830, and at Anahuac in 1831. More arrived in 1835 when Mexican troops established Fort Velasco in April, and when a Mexican ship grounded there in July. In September of 1835 a small swivel gun from Brazoria was sent to Gonzales; it fired the first shot in the Battle of Gonzales. This same gun had fired the first shot in the Battle of Velasco in 1832; it is on display today in the Gonzales Memorial Museum. All of the artillery remaining on the lower Brazos at the end of March, 1836, was sent to Galveston, and from there the Twin Sisters were sent to Sam Houston's army for use at San Jacinto.
Read all about the history of these cannons in the following link: