Cannons have been an integral part of Goliad since the early days of the La Bahia presidio. When this fort and its companion, Mission Espiritu Santo, were moved from the Guadalupe River to a new location on the San Antonio River in 1749, six iron 8-pounders made the move and were mounted in the newly-built presidio. Others followed, in and out, in the ensuing years. A battle was fought at Goliad in 1812 between Spanish Royalist forces and the Republican Army of the North under Augustus Magee; as many as 14 cannons were used in this siege and attack.
When the Texian rebels captured Goliad in October of 1835, they found three cannons in the fort. Over the next five months, 13 more were brought in. James Fannin had 10 cannons with him at the Battle of Coleto, all of which were taken by the victorious Mexican army. Fannin left 6 behind in the fort, which, with two more Spanish guns buried in 1829, are today on display in Goliad.
Clink on the link below to read a chapter from the book Cannons of the Texas Revolution which describes in detail the cannons employed at Goliad.